Kids' Chance Scholarship Program
Helping Kids Achieve Their Dreams
This year it is estimated that more than 100 Louisiana workers will die on the job. More than 45,000 will be injured, leaving half of those injured disabled. Families of these individuals will face difficult challenges as they struggle to overcome the financial burden of these losses. Often a child's dream of going to college is crushed because of unexpected income loss and/or the necessity to forfeit an education for work to financially support other family members. To these children, the future can appear frightening. Already confronting difficult emotions, they often have to confront the hurdle of funding their education beyond high school.
The LBF Kids' Chance Scholarship Program is helping these kids achieve their dreams. The program provides scholarships to the children of Louisiana workers who have been killed or permanently and totally disabled in an accident compensable under a state or federal Workers' Compensation Act or law. Since 2004, the program has awarded 235 scholarships totaling $459,600.
The first program, Kids' Chance, Inc., was established in 1988, by the Workers' Compensation Section of the Georgia State Bar. Today, there is a collection of independent programs in 29 states.
The LBF Kids' Chance Program was started in 2004 and is administered by the LBF and is governed by a committee representing a cross-section of the state's legal and workers compensation communities.
2016-17 LBF Kids' Chance Online Applications will be available December 1, 2015. Deadline to complete the application is Feb. 20, 2016.
National Kids' Chance Awareness Week is designed to highlight Kids' Chance initiatives, programs, and state organizations and raise awareness about Kids' Chance and our mission.
Kids' Chance believes that we can make a significant difference in the lives of all children affected by a workplace injury by helping them pursue and achieve their educational goals.
Suggested Activities for Firms and Companies:
- Change Collection. Encourage all employees or board members to bring in change all week. Jars with the Kids' Chance mission on them can be placed around the office for easy access. This can even be made a competition with different departments keeping their own jars. All the change collected can then be donated to Louisiana Bar Foundation Kids' Chance Scholarship Program.
- Dress Down Day. Have a casual office day where employees can only participate if they donate to Kids' Chance.
- 50/50 Raffle. Hold a 50/50 raffle one day at the office with proceeds going toward Kids' Chance.
- Pizza Lunch. Have a pizza lunch day with chips and soda (just like college!). Employees can participate if they make a donation to Kids' Chance.
- Kids' Chance Info Session. Hold a brief info session to share the Kids' Chance mission and initiatives with employees. Provide a prize or give-away to those who attend.
- Press. Share any Kids' Chance press, written during the week or otherwise, on social media and with Kids' Chance of America. Tag @KidsChanceInc!
Members of the national organization of Kids' Chance Programs
Kids' Chance Resources
Get to know the kids of Kids' Chance.
For more information about Kids' Chance contact Dennette Young at firstname.lastname@example.org