About the Foundation
The Louisiana Bar Foundation (LBF) is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) entity organized under the State of Louisiana. As the largest state funder of legal aid, the LBF supports service organizations throughout Louisiana that provide free, civil legal representation to the indigent, law-related education to the public and administration of justice projects. Since 1989, the LBF has distributed more than $70 million to hundreds of Louisiana non-profit organizations to meet these goals. We serve as the fiscal administrator for the State of Louisiana Child in Need of Care Program which provides free legal representation to all children in foster care and for the Louisiana Supreme Court Interest on Lawyers' Trust Accounts Program. Each year, the LBF awards grants to more than 70 non-profit organizations that provide access to the justice system and civil legal assistance to Louisiana's low-income citizens. Through grants, we assist women, children, the elderly, people with disabilities, the newly unemployed, those facing loss of their homes, disaster victims and many others by providing services that go to the very heart of the health, safety and security of many of our citizens and their families.
Mission and Objectives
The Louisiana Bar Foundation exists to preserve, honor, and improve our system of justice by funding, developing or otherwise promoting efforts which enhance the legal profession, increase public understanding of the legal system and advance the reality of equal justice under the law.
- Assure every person in Louisiana reasonable access to the justice system regardless of mental or physical condition, economic status, or type of legal problem.
- Identify, acquire, preserve, enhance and exhibit documents, items, photographs, and other types of media items of significant historical interest to the Louisiana legal community and to the general public.
- Promote public awareness and understanding of the legal system and its goals, as well as the rights and obligations of all parties involved.
- Raise the ethical and professional standards of the lawyers who operate the legal system.
- Establish and administer endowment funds, Interest on Lawyers' Trust Account funds, and other funds which can provide significant impact in fulfilling the goals of the Louisiana Bar Foundation.
- Support and enhance legal education in Louisiana.
- Improve the efficiency of the justice system while protecting the right to a full and fair procedure.
We are located at
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112